About & Contact Informations
- Prof. Indira Ghosh
- Head of the group. Professor @ SCIS, JNU
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +91 9971287771
- Designation: Group Leader
- Address: SCIS, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi - 110067 | GL
Indira Ghosh is working in JNU since 2008 as Dean & Professor to steer the School of computational & integrative sciences, which deals with computational approach to Biology, Chemistry, and Economics etc. She has nourished the school as Center of Excellence under Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India (GoI) in Computational Biology and spearheaded to initiate a new stream supported by UGC, called complex systems, harvesting few faculties from Physics and Econophysics. She has been one amongst the earlier scientists to realize the importance of Bioinformatics and initiated M.Sc courses in S.P. Pune University (SPPU) when she joined as Professor in Institute of Bioinformatics & Biotechnology in Pune in 2003, leaving her corporate job from AstraZeneca in Bangalore.
She has been contributing in part of the Biophysics which later evolved in early 90’s as Bioinformatics/ Computational Biology, one of the earliest and prime mentors in this field in the world. She published one of the first Docking algorithms in early eighties as a part of her thesis and developed difference of Free Energy calculation method in Biomolecules during her post-doc. Her major contributions are to develop and contribute in the field of Bio & Chemoinformatics, using Systems Biology approach to find pathway & target enzymes and developing novel tools for molecular simulations and pharmacophore design using known protein structures. She has participated in many projects in AstraZeneca center at Bangalore, involved in infectious disease and leads the team to find target(s) from genome of M.Tb, yielded in world patent. Her contribution in AZ in antimalarial project leads to achieve selectivity against Plasmodium falciparum vs. human, which was converted into lead molecule investigation. Her team has developed many programs and projects on finding Anti-Malarial compound, Chemical Data –driven anti-Tb compounds and metabolite identification and pathway integration in plants (http://pfaldb.indirag.org, http://chemtb.indirag.org & http://metabolomics.jnu.ac.in/ ). Her team has also developed Visualizer and SW on topology prediction in the field of Bioinformatics (http://proteinlego.indirag.org ). Above all she enjoys teaching and mentoring young minds towards innovations.
- 1 Faculty in the Workshop "Molecular modelling"
- 2 Faculty in the Workshop "Bioinformatics in Drug Discovery"
- 3 Faculty in the Workshop "High Performance Computing in Biotechnology"
- 4 Speaker & Chairman in the Frontier in Biology
- 5 Speaker in the conference on "Parasite Biology"
- 6 A Foundation course in Biotechnology & Bioinformatics for Pharmacy Teachers
- 7 73rd. Annual meeting of Society of Biological Chemist in India
- 8 Molecular Architechure, Dynamics and Assembly in Living Systems
- 1 Speaker in the "International Symposium on Strategies and Perspectives in Drug Development, Design and Molecular Modelling"